What’s the saying.. A tempeh and super greens salad bowl a day keeps the doctor away? Oh, that’s not it? Well it certainly does regardless. This nourish bowl is packed to the brim with a combination of spring & summer inspired fresh produce and mouth watering garlic ginger marinated tempeh and when combined you can guarantee it’ll comfort you from the inside out. How can you not feel a sense of peace looking at a meal that you know is going to do your body so much good?
Now as much as I adore brewing up a variety of vegan feast recipes for you lovely readers to try at home, I do have my days where I just need some time out after a very long week. My day job is in retail and Christmas is fast approaching, meaning some mentally exhausting days and needing a relatively quick but nutrient dense dinner fix!
This nourish bowl really is so simple, a small amount of preparation and minimal cooking required and you can build this yourself, and the variations you could create when you’ve got your salad base and some core ingredients really are up to your imagination, there are no rules, have some fun with it and I hope you enjoy as much as my tummy did!
- 3-4 cups kale, chopped and de-stemmed
- 1 cup broccoli, separated into florets
- 1 cup Brussel sprouts, cut in halves
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup natural almonds
- 1/2 carrot sliced very thinly for topping
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 green capsicum, sliced
- Large handful of green beans, sliced in half
- 100g tempeh sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water
Tempeh marinade ingredients
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Put all your kale into a large bowl with your tablespoon of coconut oil, garlic salt and paprika. Massage the dressing into your kale well and ensure all of it is marinated!
2. Place the following into a steamer over a pot of boiling water, broccoli, Brussel sprouts and beans and steam for about mins or until soft.
3. Now to cook our tempeh! Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add in your tempeh slices and 1/2 cup water and let simmer. Turn your tempeh when about half of the water has evaporated and continue to let simmer until all the water has evaporated.
4. While your tempeh is cooking, Prepare your fresh topping ingredients of cherry tomato, cucumber, capsicum and carrot
5. Turn the pan heat down to low and add your 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Allow to cook on each side for a few minutes until it starts to brown and caramelise in the marinade.
6. Assemble your super salad bowl in the order of the following ~ fresh kale, steamed greens, fresh ingredients, tempeh, nuts & berries, sesame seeds and tahini dressing.
**photos below of assembling the salad bowl, it’s super easy!